600K Go Missing Annually in the United States

According to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), approximately 600,000 people go missing in the United States annually. Of those, roughly 90% are considered to be endangered runaways, while the remaining 10% are considered to be lost, injured, or otherwise missing.

There are a number of theories about why people go missing, and the reasons vary depending on the individual case. For runaways, common reasons include family conflicts, abuse, and neglect. In some cases, mental health issues may also play a role.

For those who are lost or injured, factors such as dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, and other cognitive disorders can make it difficult for individuals to remember their way home or communicate their whereabouts to others.

Another theory is that some missing individuals may have voluntarily disappeared, often referred to as “going off the grid.” This can be for a variety of reasons, such as financial problems, relationship issues, or a desire for a fresh start. This type of missing person is often referred to as a “voluntary missing adult.”

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) is a national database that helps to track missing persons and unidentified remains. It is important to note, however, that not all missing persons are reported to the authorities, and therefore not all missing persons are entered into the NamUs database.

The number of people who go missing in the United States each year is staggering, with an estimated 600,000 individuals disappearing annually. Reasons for these disappearances are varied and can include family conflicts, abuse, neglect, cognitive disorders, and voluntary disappearances.

Despite the large numbers, the majority of missing persons are located within a short period of time, but for some, their whereabouts remain unknown for months or even years.